Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend Update





July 17, 18 and 19
Been kinda busy but still working with my Flash! We got some heavy rain Saturday so our session was cut a little short, but he did well anyway! I see major improvement in him every day.....for example I was going to send him to the chute and I decided to "lead" him to the chute. He's finally started following me around before I take the lead rope. So I reached down and got it and he followed right along....to be safe, I got behind the gate that closes him off to the chute and he tried to get behind the gate with me!! too hillarious! I couldn't make him understand to go on the side of the gate and pass me up! so I ended up letting his lead rope go and sending him through....We did our usual brushing on both sides but Sunday I decided to place a saddlepad on his back. At first he was nervous, but I just kept working with him and got to where he would let me leave it on him for a while. I also got to brush about 1/3 down his front leg without him striking! BIG PROGRESS!!! and also all the way down his rump and no kicking! BIG PROGRESS!! We fly sprayed again and just a little flinching, so still pretty good. Since all of this chute work has been on both of Flash's sides, I decided to go into the chute in front of where he is chocked to get a rub between his eyes while facing him. OMG We did it! He didn't hesitate at all....now because everything was muddy from the storm the day before, I wasn't able to go to the round pen and see if we could do it in the open space, but maybe today if the sun dries it up enough that will be our next major task! Attached are pictures of the saddlepad and me giving a good rub between his eyes while in front of him......kinda hard to take the pic with one hand and rub with the other, but you get the general idea! lol

No comments: