Monday, July 6, 2009

SATURDAY JULY 4, 2009



Flash now lets me lead him from his pen into the round pen without getting nervous about anything. We go into the round pen and lead for a while....stopping and taking one to two steps toward me while I face him. Sometimes he gets a little nervous and sidesteps me to come up on my side, but still keeping a safe distance between us. When he feels he has crossed that "safety line" he bolts off away from me....most of the time I still have the end of the lead rope and get him settled back down and we go again. After exercising this a while, I decide to let him eat his grain. I pour it in the bowl and set it right at my feet! Today I have the end of the lead rope in my hand while I wait for him to approach to eat. This is different! So I encourage him to come with a slight tug and he takes a couple of steps, then I leave him alone so it will be his choice to come eat. And he does.....today it didn't take long at all for him to come up and eat by my side. He says, "I've done this before and you just sit there and I eat, so I'm not real worried now"......he lets me lead him back to his pen. Session over till this afternoon....We repeat except we get a little nervous towards the end of our leading and facing up and can't help but bolt away more than usual. We work for a while and it's been a long day with company over for barbeque and all, so we say goodnight and rest till tomorrow.

No comments: