Monday, July 6, 2009

SUNDAY JULY 5

Afternoon work with Flash, pretty routine but today we didn't get to eat the grain, somehow when he bolted to run, the lead rope got thrown across his back and I was not successful in getting the lead rope again in the round pen! So off to the chute we go, (although, I must admit,nothing like a horse de-sensitizing himself for something across his own back! lol) so we decided to spend a lot of "hands on time"...some nervousness, but relatively calm...even able to give a good rub between the eyes. That was all on the offside where a catwalk is alongside the chute. Well, all was NOT well on the "good" side! He did not like me on that side at all! I had to get the lead rope (I left it on the other side of the chute)to the good side and he thought the Cajun Ta Ta was going to get him! He began striking and trying to rear up (not real bad) to get away from that "thing" (my wire for reaching)I did get him calmed down and was able to get a good rub between the eyes and also got him to smell me on that side. After I was able to calm him down, I decided he had enough exposure for the day and let him go back to his pen to eat the grain and his hay. We'll try again today...maybe a different approach???? Any suggestions, anyone?

1 comment:

Kirstin's Mustang Project 2011 said...

Hey Lauren,
Have you heard of Kitty Lauman. She won 2nd place in the mustang makeover a couple of years ago. Her website is www.laumantraining.com Her methods are slightly different, but very effective. I do have her from Wild to Willing training video and I really like her methods. Check out her website, it might give you some ideas as to what might work. If interested, I could probably let you borrow disc 1. Just let me know.