Friday, July 3, 2009

FIRST APPROACH

We did it!!! I took my book out to the round pen to wait patiently while he decided to eat. This time I had the feed bowl at my feet and to my side. It took him a while to come to eat, but I noticed there wasn't nearly as many advance and retreat steps tonight. Then IT happened......when he ate a bite, he chewed and chewed and before sticking his head back into the feed bowl.......he sniffed me all up and down my arm for what seemed like 30 seconds or more! I never moved and he ate some more then sniffed my arm again! I had the most awesome feeling the first time he sniffed me and it was hard to contain my excitement and remain calm!! Our excercise consisted of leading, making a whoa, faced up and getting him to take a step towards me. He did excellent!! I know we're going slow, but I want his trust first! The rest will follow....till tomorrow!!! (and no, no pictures I gave my daughter the night off!)

1 comment:

Karen C. said...

How exciting! I got goose bumps reading about that first sniff up and down the arm...I think that is one of the best parts of gentling a mustang!

Until later...Karen and Tripp