Monday, June 29, 2009

Weekend Update


Been busy with Flash! Friday evening, I put him in the cute and brushed again, seems like this is the only way I can convince him I won't "eat" him. Lead in the round pen, also he had developed a taste for grain! Didn't eat too much (had leftovers of a 1/2 scoop)but loves that hay!I've started feeding him when possible instead of the girls doing it for me. (sometimes is sucks to have to work!)But when I feed him, I open his pen and go inside, he watches me like a hawk making sure to stay on the other end of the pen. I wash out his water bucket while in his pen so he has to "deal" with me for periods of time! Then I leave to go get his grain or hay and when I return, I go back inside the pen....we're gonna be best of friends!Oh yeah, and Friday was my husband and I's 5th year anniversary, so training was not long, we decided to go out for a while (we NEVER do that!)instead of spending the night at home.....we had a great time, and thanks Robert for a wonderful 5 years of marriage! You're the BEST! I love you.....

Saturday we basically did the same routine, but it's getting easier and easier to get him into the chute for his "touching session". I'm able to get a good rub between his eyes without him throwing his head back, now. I see progress....slow and steady!

Sunday we decided to use the "helping hand" while in the chute. I was able to touch spots I haven't been before and even down the front legs. However about the 5th time I did go down his front leg, he decided that the hand might eat him and began striking it! Put the "hand" where we've already accepted it and then removed...enough for now, concentrate on my hand and rubbing. We went to the round pen and did our leading....he did really well. I notice that I can get my hand all the way down to the clamp where the lead rope is folded over behind the clip as long as I don't "look at him", when I look at him, he freezes! This is the closest I've been in the round pen to him! I do see progress! I think by the end of this week, he'll be over his fears of humans and we can get to training! I'm so excited to see him come along....I do have a picture of me holding the lead rope almost under his chin!

No comments: