Saturday, June 20, 2009

Progress


Today I skipped round pen, and we went straight into the chute for a halter. He was a little nervous getting out of our "routine", but did good. So as usual, I began by petting his jaw, he seems okay if I start there. From the jaw, the neck, to the withers. Gave the halter to my husband on the right side of him and of course he looked away from him which put him looking at me. He didn't want that either, so he looked back to the center at which time my husband got the halter around his nose and together we tied it on. With brush in hand, I let him smell it and began using it at the jaw (familiar place for him). Proceeded with brush with little resistance and went to the offside and began to brush over there. As soon as he knew it was the same on both sides, he settled down. I brushed all the way down to his rump and put a little pressure on his back to simulate saddle, he turned his head and looked, that was it! I think tomorrow, we'll do the same again and hopefully he remembers that nothing hurts! We'll round pen after a petting session and see how that goes! I feel good about our time today!

No comments: